[patch] kioslave performance issues, dramatic improvement for ftp

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at Kossebau.de
Wed Feb 11 16:59:21 GMT 2004

Am Mittwoch, 11. Februar 2004 15:18 schrieb Stephan Kulow:
> On Wednesday 11 February 2004 15:06, Dr. Juergen Pfennig wrote:
> > But how could ERR_NOT_SUPPORTED help in this case? Should it be passed to
> > the error() function? How would the job then be executed? Maybe it would
> > be better to implement the copy() routine correctly!
>
> Copying from ftp to ftp on the same server is so seldom that implementing
> isn't worth it.

Except for that I have no idea if ftp supports copying on the same server at
all (thus can be implemented) and whether sftp is ftp inside ssl I would like
to raise my hand for doing right this once in a while. (huh, no, this is sadly
no volunteerring to do this, am working to get KHexEdit2 a great architecture
design)

> If you error(ERR_NOT_SUPPORTED), then libkio will use get
> and put between two slaves.

Which is not funny on a v.56 connection when you just had the idea to organize
your files on the university server, especially if you forgot to have a look
at their size... (Sometimes I would need a strong visual hint if operations
will be costly. Konqueror is soo comfortable that it is dangerous) :}

2 cents.

Greetings, Friedrich