A humble packager's request: Retire kdeaddons.

Piotr Szymanski djurban at websites.pl
Wed Feb 11 11:03:30 GMT 2004

Hi,
Michael Nottebrock(Wednesday 11 of February 2004 03:00):
> I discovered that kdeaddons contains the newsticker plugin for Kontact.
> It's the only Kontact plugin in kdeaddons, out of nine in total. All the
> other plugins are in kdepim right next to kontact, including the weather
> plugin. I am amazed by the absurdity.
It is there because it requires kdenetwork and pim and kdepim doesnt and will
not require kdenetwork. Actually Ive been packaging kde for some time and
never had any objections to kdeaddons.

> kdeaddons contains a few thingies and goodies and some plugins for stuff in
> kdebase, kdemultimedia, kdegames & kdepim. It autodetects stuff during
> configure and thus is a packager's and user's nightmare. A packager's
> nightmare because the packager needs to carefully check to not miss a
> dependency and hence some application or plugin, a user's because in the
To check the deps alll you have to do is read several configure.in.in files.
Is that too hard? You have to do that in kdepim too to find out about libmal
req. You are overdoing it with the nightmare.
Furthermore if you follow kde development (I dont mean reading kde-cvs, which
is fun anyways) you will know what about changes that bring new requires.
Reading kde-core-devel and kde-devel is enough.

> worst case he ends up having to install kdemultimedia and kdegames just to
> get the newsticker-plugin for Kontact.
Split it into smaller subpackages then? We dont provide kdeaddons in one huge
package:
[djurban at djurban][11:38:29](~)$ rpm -qa kdeaddons\*
kdeaddons-kicker-3.2.0-1
kdeaddons-fsview-3.2.0-1
kdeaddons-kontact-3.2.0-1
kdeaddons-kvim-3.2.0-1
kdeaddons-kaddressbook-plugins-3.2.0-1
kdeaddons-noatun-3.2.0-1
kdeaddons-atlantikdesigner-3.2.0-1
kdeaddons-konqueror-3.2.0-1
kdeaddons-kate-3.2.0-1
kdeaddons-ksig-3.2.0-1
kdeaddons-knewsticker-3.2.0-1
[djurban at djurban][11:49:51](~)$

> My humble suggestion: Axe kdeaddons. Preferably in time for KDE 3.3.
Where would you put: atlantikdesigner (kdegames? but its not a game), kontact
(the newsticker cant go t kdepim, because it requires kdenetwork), vimpart?

I dont really care if kdeaddons change because it would only mean for me
merging part of kdeadons spec to other specs, adding some obsoletes, and
adding a BuildRequires: kdenetwork to kdepim.
Not sure that everyone wants it like this tho and well its your fault you dont
package with a logical supackage scheme.
--
Piotr Szymanski
djurban at pld-linux.org