A humble packager's request: Retire kdeaddons.

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Wed Feb 11 10:01:14 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 03:00, Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> I discovered that kdeaddons contains the newsticker plugin for Kontact.
> It's the only Kontact plugin in kdeaddons, out of nine in total. All the
> other plugins are in kdepim right next to kontact, including the weather
> plugin. I am amazed by the absurdity.

You are right. The weather plugin shouldn't be in kdepim.

> kdeaddons contains a few thingies and goodies and some plugins for stuff in
> kdebase, kdemultimedia, kdegames & kdepim. It autodetects stuff during
> configure and thus is a packager's and user's nightmare. A packager's
> nightmare because the packager needs to carefully check to not miss a
> dependency and hence some application or plugin, a user's because in the
> worst case he ends up having to install kdemultimedia and kdegames just to
> get the newsticker-plugin for Kontact.

kdeaddons is a packagers nightmare, that's right, and that's good. Because it
contains all the stuff which has cross-dependencies to other kde modules. All
other main kde modules only have dependencies on kdelibs and maybe kdebase,
but not between each other. If you remove kdeaddons and move the stuff in
there to the other modules you would distribute the packagers nightmare to
all modules, do you really want that?

I wouldn't mind renaming kdeaddons to kdenightmare, but removing kdeaddons
doesn't sound like a good idea.