A humble packager's request: Retire kdeaddons.

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Wed Feb 11 02:00:44 GMT 2004

Hello KDE-Core-Developers,

it is not nice to come in ranting and complaining in the very first message
to a mailinglist, but the rant is short and the reasoning valid, at least
IMHO.

I am involved in porting/packaging KDE for the FreeBSD ports-collection.
Revisiting kdeaddons for the recent release of KDE 3.2 reminded me of an old
idea I had for quite some time now: Why not just remove it?

---------- [Warning: Rantish part here. Skip at your discretion.] ----------

I discovered that kdeaddons contains the newsticker plugin for Kontact. It's
the only Kontact plugin in kdeaddons, out of nine in total. All the other
plugins are in kdepim right next to kontact, including the weather plugin. I
am amazed by the absurdity.

----------------------------- [End of Rant] --------------------------------

kdeaddons contains a few thingies and goodies and some plugins for stuff in
kdebase, kdemultimedia, kdegames & kdepim. It autodetects stuff during
configure and thus is a packager's and user's nightmare. A packager's
nightmare because the packager needs to carefully check to not miss a
dependency and hence some application or plugin, a user's because in the
worst case he ends up having to install kdemultimedia and kdegames just to
get the newsticker-plugin for Kontact.

Here are some FreeBSD package sizes, (tar archives with metadata, bzip2
compressed):

kdebase:	 20 M
kdegames:	  9 M
kdemultimedia:	7.1 M
kdepim:		8.4 M

and:

kdeaddons	1.4 M

Is 0.35 M less for each of the "base" modules (of course kdepim would actually
grow much less than kdemultimedia in reality, but it's still okay for
illustration) really worth an addons package?

My humble suggestion: Axe kdeaddons. Preferably in time for KDE 3.3.

Regards,
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org