Apollon soon in kde-extragear

Jeroen Wijnhout Jeroen.Wijnhout at kdemail.net
Tue Feb 10 20:00:36 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 20:17, Petter E. Stokke wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 February 2004 13:49, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> > It seems that nobody answered the question:
> > what is the difference between KmlDonkey and Apollon?
>
> The difference is that KMLDonkey doesn't at any point implement or link to
> any kind of P2P protocol implementation, whereas Apollon has a compile
> time dependency on giFT. KMLDonkey doesn't even require any P2P software
> installed on the same machine to be useful; it's frequently used to access
> a remote mldonkey installation.

Can you use KMLDonkey without mldonkey? No, you can't. Unless you enjoy
staring at an empty listview.

So there isn't any P2P code in KMLDonkey, but is very clear that KMLDonkey can
only be used in combination with mldonkey. So in that respect, KMLDonkey is
pretty much like Apollon. It would be different if KMLDonkey could also
connect to a back-end that supports a P2P network with DRM (something that is
100% legal, without dispute), but that is not the case.

Also, KMLDonkey has very convenient options to search for mp3's, movies etc.
Typically material that is downloaded illegally. It is clear what the
intended use for KMLDonkey is, the same as Apollon.

So I agree: Get KMLDonkey out of KEG or get Apollon in.

best,
Jeroen

--
Kile - an Integrated LaTeX Environment for KDE
http://kile.sourceforge.net