[Kde-pim] Re: kmail: aegypten_branch merged into HEAD

Andy Fawcett andy at athame.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 12:53:52 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 14:39, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 February 2004 12:28, Helio Chissini de Castro wrote:
> > On Tuesday 10 February 2004 05:28, Andy Fawcett wrote:
> > > From a packagers point of view, what is the current estimation on
> > > these 'alpha' software packages being released?
> > >
> > > Some packagers will not distribute alpha software at all, and I
> > > think that unless the situation is resolved before kdepim 3.3 is
> > > released, you'll simply find they don't distribute kdepim 3.3 at
> > > all. That would, in my opinion, make a mockery out of the whole
> > > kdepim 3.3 release.
> > >
> > > Of course, if gpgme 0.4.4 (et al) are aall released before kdepim
> > > 3.3, the issue is moot.
> >
> > I share my feelings with Andy..
> > Beside i can decide wich KDE app i will deliver, i'm not in charge
> > of this part of distro things, like gpg, gpgme, etc.
> > And have you tried convince a security analyst to launch a Alpha
> > app that relies direct in some security thing ?
> > This could be really a blocker in our case
>
> People, the next KDE release isn't for tomorrow.

David, we realise this.

If you read what I said in my response, I accepted that the issue could
be void if the required dependencies are released in time, from a
packaging perspective.

I do however share Cornelius's concerns (voiced on the -pim list) about
new dependencies for what is supposed to be a "slot in upgrade". While
it's not impossible to deal with this, it's not ideal either.

I note Cornelius also said "Didn't we agree to leave the
aegypten_branch merge to the version after 3.3? It's not in the feature
plan.", which makes it even more strange that the merge has been done
now. So far, I've not seen a response to this.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Fawcett                                     | andy at athame.co.uk
"In an open world without walls and fences,      | tap at lspace.org