[kde-announce] Announcing KDE 3.2

Don Sanders sanders at kde.org
Tue Feb 10 02:12:50 GMT 2004

On Saturday 07 February 2004 03:27, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Friday 06 February 2004 10:59, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> > Besides from the last sentence sounding a bit dramatically
> > I fully agree: urging developers to do this or that would not
> > work in most cases since: it reduced freedom == it reduces fun.
>
> I was talking to a collegue yesterday about process - software
> development process, that is. His theory (note, btw, that this
> whole tupping thread is anecdotal, and there's no particular reason
> to accept anyone's statements as more than opinion; there is no
> "authority" here) is that people who absolutely refuse to do
> anything with process, that is the folks who say "freedom == fun",
> have never actually _tried_ to use a process. It's not a
> straightjacket. It does require some minimum of self-discipline,
> though. A process can be as lightweight as "look at the bugs list
> for you app once a week, pick one, and fix it. Spend the rest of
> your time doing what's fun."

I'm okay with working within a process if it is beneficial. But I'm
not willing to assume that a process will be beneficial. Instead I
need to be persuaded that a proposed process will be beneficial
before I support it.

I don't value freedom so much because of the fun factor. For me there
is commercial value involved, I perceive there to be commercial value
in deciding the priority of work I engage in.

Don.