Apollon soon in kde-extragear

Martin Köbele martin at mkoebele.de
Tue Feb 10 01:41:02 GMT 2004

> The FastTrack network -- as I understand it the primary protocol used by
> Apollon -- is overwhelmingly used for trading copyrighted material.  Both
> the authors of the primary client for that network (Kazzaa) and users of it
> have had legal action filed against them in the US.
primary network is OpenFT.

> It's also of note that copying CDs is legal; distribution of them is not.
why is it legal? CDs are copyrighted!!
later you say:
> This is naive.  Making copies of copyrighted material is illegal in most
>western countries.
This is a contradiction.
Copying is copying. Because of the paragraph which allows you to make personal
copies of CDs you're allowed to download. (German UrhG: §53).

> If you look back at the thread that was mentioned I objected to KMLDonkey
> being hosted in KDE's CVS server.  Unfortunately there was no discussion
> prior to its being imported.  That said I feel that the author displayed an
> understanding of the relevant laws and made a reasonable appeal based on
> that understanding.  This has not yet happened from the Apollon side.

not yet happened from the Apollon side? Thanks.
Two weeks ago I held a seminar-presentation about the Copyright-law.
That's where I have my knowledge from. I read books to find something
especially about the p2p-topic. And now I have to hear that?
Do you think I invented my email? Or what? How can you judge that everything I
wrote is "irrelevant"?

Beside of that, understanding law or not, the law is not different for
kmldonkey. It is exactly the same as for apollon.
What is the difference between kmldonkey and apollon? Both connect to the same
networks. kmldonkey to even more.

> A final note -- we've been through most of this before -- interested
> parties can find it in the previously linked thread which I find preferable
> to rehashing it all here.  There were some reasonable suggestions /
> guidelines discussed there and I would suggest that these are acted upon.

No, I suggest to consider _all_ emails, including the mails of this thread.

Martin