[OT] some weird GPL licensing questions

Roger Larsson roger.larsson at norran.net
Mon Feb 9 23:47:37 GMT 2004

On Monday 09 February 2004 23.11, Roberto Alsina wrote:
> I bet you can even give someone a binary, and a written offer saying that
> you will ship the sources in paper  for the cost (about USD 7000 for KDE
> is my guess ;-)

GPL chapter 3
    a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
    source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections
    1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

    b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
    years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
    cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
    machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code...

Yes, you may OCR the print out, but you would have a hard time to argue that
it is machine-readable (you will need a very good OCR...)

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
Skellefteå