Problem in KConfig with language_territory locale strings

Dr. Juergen Pfennig info at j-pfennig.de
Fri Feb 6 16:00:56 GMT 2004

On Friday 06 February 2004 16:37, Waldo Bastian wrote:

>There is a risk that some old code will fail to init the new bits though,
> since the constructor is inline.

Ups! Please look at the answer to Luciano Montanaro. I did not want to read
more than two entries. For example "en_GB" (with territory) and
"en" (without). It makes little sense to assume that "en_AU" exists but "en"
does not. I also hoped to implement it at a lower level (while reading the
file) so that binary compatibility can be preserved.

But the thing that you suggest also makes sense in certain scenarios. Think
about
(1) You work in France and you speak French
(2) You are a native German speaker
--> If a French message is not found KDE could
     default to German instead of English.

This sounds brain damaged, but it already makes more sense with Catalan and
Spanish.

But should KDE really go so far? I wanted to suggest only a small step.

Yours Jürgen