API problems (Was: future versions)

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri Feb 6 15:45:30 GMT 2004

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 04:22:14PM +0100, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> So then the question becomes which API parts are so bad that they
> cause real hurt?

/me whispers KProcess ...

you'll be surprised how much pops up, if everybody revisits the (lib)
stuff he worked with and remembers what weaknesses/annoyances he found
in the past. maybe we should start collecting ideas in a central place,
something like features.xml, but for the api. there is lots of stuff in
the files themselves, but having everything in one place could be
advantageous for finding correlations (i.e., weaknesses of whole
concepts).

and, fwiw, i don't buy the "maturity" statement that pops up now and
then. some areas were not touched for years simply because nobody cared
enough and felt up to the task. but that does not mean that the stuff is
in a good shape. if you measure kde's api cleannes by qt standards,
you'll find a picture not exactly to our favour, even with the current
qt api, which matthias found to be sooo bad. ;)
if changing that means annoying the poor application developers - too
bad - for them.

greetings