Remove progressbar from splash

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Feb 5 13:16:13 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 04 of February 2004 18:53, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> On February 4, 2004 10:42, Christian Loose wrote:
> > How useful is it when its already at e.g. 80% when the session
> > restoration starts? But I agree that this is a matter of opinion. So I
> > guess it's up to the maintainer. ;-)
>
> useful would be a text label that shows the name of the application the
> session manager is currently (re)starting, as that would show some real
> information vs a quietly progressing progress bar. respecting the startup
> notification flags would be good here too.

 Actually that text label would often be quite inaccurate, as there are
usually more than one app starting at a time when session restoring. Moreover
KSMServer considers an app running as soon as it registers with it, which is
somewhere in QApplication (IOW quite soon), and the app may still need some
time to be fully read or even visible). OTOH the splashscreen already lies
about what's going on anyway, so who cares ;).

 If somebody's going to implement this, I think the right place for calling
KSplash's programStarted() is in KSMServer::startApplication(), I just don't
know how it's going to find out the icon or description. It'll actually even
have to guess program name from the command.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org