[CORE-DEVEL] Roaming User Support - Questions...

Thomas Vollmer thomas-ml at vollmeronline.de
Wed Feb 4 09:30:20 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 03 February 2004 18:31, Dr. Juergen Pfennig wrote:
> Is there any white-paper on Roaming User Support? If so please tell
> me. I have a number of problems/questions ... For the following text
> I assume a common scenario where some company using KDE would like
> that all of their users keep the "Documents" folder and the "~/.kde"
> folder on a central server.

[...]

Only one question. Did You ever administrated an mixed enviroment with
NT3.5x/NT4/Win2K machines, a Terminal Server, all of this with
differnet base languages and maybe a slow and unreliable network link?

Then let the users use there roaming profile and have get a corrupted
and unusable profile count that is a n^2 from the user count.

> - what if the server is unreachable at login (windows uses locally
> cached copies)

Not for NT4. It tends to create new profiles based on the local default
profile. When the server comes up before the user logs of, this broken
profile is uploaded to the server.

> - how do locally cached copies get removed if someone only
> occasionally works on a machine (OK, KDE would store it in /tmp, but
> see below)

Well $HOME should be on a automounted net drive and /tmp should be
cleared be a cron job.

> - what if the screen resolutions differ?

A Outlook that is placed outside the screen?

> - what if software versions differ?

With the same Windows version but differnt languages (English and
German) You get one directory named "Application Data" and an other one
"Anwendungsdaten", both storeing the same information. This also apply
for the folder with the IE favorites, the own files directory, the
application menu etc.

> - what if some software is not installed on some machine?

Then Windows expands its login time to search for the broken link.

> - high network traffic, slow log-in (windows is synchronizing the
> cache)

Yes, and when You are not aware of the problems, and most users are not
and save big files on the desktop etc., You get a blown up profile of
hundreds of megs which are synced every time You login/logoff.

Thomas
--
IRC:Tomse  Jabber:Tomse at jabber.org  ICQ:4843585