Moving kdcop

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Tue Feb 3 20:11:44 GMT 2004

On February 03, 2004 3:23 pm, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> The previous paragraph is confused, fuzzed, and discombobulated by the
> increasing number of build-from-CVS scripts, distros providing CVS
> packages, and whatnot. I hear SorcerorLinux can do the equivalent of an
> `emerge kde-cvs' and it fetches and builds CVS. Yay.

... etc etc.

You forget one huge thing. KDE is not released "packaged". The official KDE
release are the source tarballs, which *are* separated into modules as in
CVS. I could care less about how packages are structured.. that's up to the
distros, which  I don't use. However, as long as the KDE project *does*
release source tarballs, they should be structured in a useable manner.

If it's going to be official KDE policy that the *packages* are the release,
that's fine. But it isn't now, nor do I think it should be. And if it ever
is, then the source tarballs should be re-done to resemble these official
released packages.

> Remember: KDE CVS is not KDE as packaged

Exactly my point. KDE *as released* is not KDE as packaged either.

>The average user of the distro you have in mind, no. The average user of my
>distro (graphic artists with lots of PIM thingies, working in a groupware
>commune) does. Who's to say you are more important than me? Hence, since

What does a graphic artist care about using DCOP in KHotKeys? Or the KDE
Service Manager?

>we're already both doing the job of picking and chosing those parts of CVS
>that make sense for our users, let us get on with our jobs.

And no, I was not "picking and choosing" parts. The whole point of having
release packages is to group together programs in a logical manner. It's not
to say "Here is what you are to use".

If some graphic users want to use the things in kdepower or kdegeek or
whatever, then more power to them.

The point is that these things don't belong grouped in with"kdebase, because
they aren't core programs. And they don't belong in kdepim, because
configuring resources encompasses much more than that, and most people really
could care less about configuring advanced resources.

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

http://www.keirstead.org