Roaming User Support - Questions...

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Tue Feb 3 18:52:52 GMT 2004

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 07:38:24PM +0100, Dr. Juergen Pfennig wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 February 2004 19:04, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > If ~/.kde is on a central NFS mount
>
> Oh! About 95% of all network shares on this planet are smb (or novell) NFS is
> completely exotic because only very few computers have drivers for it (mostly
> UNIX or Linux but their market share is only <= 2%). So sorry - but NFS is
> meaningless and we should forget it!

you can mound smb just as good. only problem are permissions, but i
guess samba has some means to map unix perms on extended attribs, so
even this should work. oh, well, (sym)links don't work, i think.

> > >Would kde apps hang?
>
> That's the point. KDE needs to cache the config files locally.

that does not help a bit if all other files are "absent". i think
"fixing" this at the level of individual files is broken-minded.

> What about an rsync like approach for config files triggered by
> startkde and Xreset (or better)?

the counterpart to Xreset is Xstartup. ;)
i like that idea - for a simple solution (that needs connection at least
at login and logout).
if you want something better, you need a mirroring system in the kernel.
coda? afs? dunno.

greetings