Time to update the style guide?

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Tue Feb 3 17:17:28 GMT 2004

On February 03, 2004 7:28 am, Rob Kaper wrote:
> What's the point of having a style guide when we're going to try out
> non-conforming ideas and then adopt the style guide to them? I still
> think tabs are for people who can't handle their window manager.

Well, perhaps if KWin had proper tabbing like pwm and fluxbox, etc. then this
would be the case.

Until then, many people, myself included, find tabbing to be the most
efficient way to manage many similar windows.

> But, since tabs can only be maximized, it's still somewhat SDI to me, you
> can have actual overlapping windows inside windows with it, the usual
> symptom (and horror) of MDI.

It doesn't matter if the windows overlap or not... it's still a "multiple
document interface".

> I'd rather describe tabs as enhanced-SDI than setting a precedence that we
> can arbitrarily ignore the style guide and then later change it because of
> the differences caused by ignoring it.

Fine, then add an enhanced SDI section describing tabbing

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

http://www.keirstead.org