Moving kdcop

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Tue Feb 3 14:54:53 GMT 2004

On February 03, 2004 10:05 am, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> a) i use khotkeys, daily, multiple times.... only once have i used kdcop
> while it was open.  i never saw any reason why khotkeys didn't work...
>
> b) in normal opertions do users use khotkeys and dcop together? or is this
> some corner case you enjoy bringing up?  i even did an rm kdcop and still
> khotkeys works.  so i find your reasoning a bit desperaite.

It is not that it is a compile time, or even run time dependency. It is just
that without a GUI DCOP navigator it is *prohibitively* complex for a
non-power user to discover the right DCOP commands to use to control an
application.

I totally agree that it is not a "normal user" type of thing. But it is
certainly not a "developer" type of thing. It's a "power user" type of thing,
which is completely different.

Perhaps what this discussion has brought about, is the need for a *new* base
package, kdepower (or some hopefully better name), that can take out some of
the more "power user" KCMS and apps from kdebase, kdenetwork, etc. and put
them in a separate package that would be highly recommended for "power
users", but not newbies.

Good candidates I see would be:
- DCOP functionality of KHotKeys
- KDE Resources KCM
- Service Manager
- Monitor Gamma KCM
- KDE Performance KCM

None of these are things I can see the average user even wanting to look at.

Doing something like this would also help cut down on the KControl bloat that
plagues us.

What do other people think of this idea? Should it be floated further?

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

http://www.keirstead.org