[RFC] Support for /dev/urandom in kdelibs

Michael Buesch mbuesch at freenet.de
Thu Dec 30 10:59:02 GMT 2004

Quoting Brad Hards <bradh at frogmouth.net>:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:14 pm, Michael Buesch wrote:
> > I designed a first class API to provide random data through QIODevice.
> > I'm not completely sure if QIODevice is the right choice. Maybe
> > QFile is even better. So currently the class is derived from QIODevice
> > but it's likely to change to QFile.
> What do you want to use the random data for? Alternatively, what is the
> intended application? Is it for crypto? What sort of application?

See KEntropySource as some kind of experimental stuff. I'm just
playing around.
But I see. Maybe it's over-designed.

A usage for this maybe my application PwManager.
Currently I use this:
http://webcvs.kde.org/kdeextragear-3/pwmanager/pwmanager/randomizer/randomizer.h?rev=1.2&view=markup

It also works with the >> operator but without QDataStream, so
it's easier to use.

--
Regards Michael Buesch  [ http://www.tuxsoft.de.vu ]