KIO->GnomeVFS bridge started (looking for a Common-VFS)

Richard Smith kde at metafoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 22:49:56 GMT 2004

On Monday 20 December 2004 16:14, nf wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 13:37, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> > I would think that it should try to find a KIO slave first, and fall back
> > on GVFS if absent. In a similar vein, if such a bridge were also written
> > to use KIO slaves in Gnome, I would expect they would prefer the GVFS
> > slaves and fall back on ours.
>
> The GVFS slaves should have priority. Because then KDE & Gnome apps can
> use the same VFS library.

Ahem. That approach isn't likely to get you anywhere. But think about this
situation:

GVFS provides http:, ftp: et al,  via some .desktop files somewhere, with
entries in them allowing the protocols to be used by both KDE and GNOME. When
KIO needs to use those entries, it loads GVFS.

KIO provides http:, ftp: et al, via more .desktop files in the same place,
with the same kinds of entries, pretty much as KIO does now. GVFS gets
patched to talk to KIO.

A standard mechanism is provided (maybe via yet more .desktop files) to select
which one you want to use as your preferred protocol provider -- and if you
want, the default can be to use the ones provided by your current DE. Should
make everyone happy, right?

Next challenge: make KParts and Bonobo components interchangeable ;-)
--
Thanks,
Richard