X Window System developer's meeting.

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Tue Dec 21 18:35:31 GMT 2004

We have scheduled a three day X Developer's meeting from
Saturday, February 12, through Monday, February 14, 2005, at the
Cambridge Research Laboratory (CRL) in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
This is the weekend before Linux World Expo in Boston, so we hope
the time will reduce travel wear and tear on many of us.

This meeting is intended to cover a wide variety of topics
about X Window System technologies, and the as yet unmet needs of
the technologies that depend on the X Window System.  As a result,
this meeting is intended for people working across the entire
X Window System stack, including toolkits and window managers
and desktop infrastructure.  This meeting is not, however,
intended to cover general X application development
topics or concepts.

There will be a number of people giving presentations.  These
presentations will likely consume no more than half of the overall
meeting time so the remaining time can be spent with informal
discussions, hacking, breakout sessions, etc.

If you wish to volunteer to give a presentation, please send e-mail
to xdevconf at freedesktop.org.  In addition, if you have specific topics
you'd like to see discussed in a presentation or during informal
sessions, please send e-mail with your suggestions to that
address as well.

Current sessions for the X Developer's Meeting include:

  * X.org Update
  * DND Specification Issues
  * Systray Specification Issues
  * A New Input System
  * Testing strategies
  * X architectural issues
  * Compositing manager experiences
  * X on GL
  * Kernel drivers

Due to space limitations, attendance will be limited to no more than
40 people.  If you would like to attend, please send mail to
xdevconf at freedesktop.org.  Having the names of attendees in
advance eases building security, as we share the building with
other companies.

An audio feed will be made available for those attending remotely
or unable to attend due to limitations on space. The meeting venue
provides networking support with high speed access outside the
facility.

The hotels recommended near CRL are The Kendall Hotel, the Cambridge
Marriott, and the Residence Inn.  All three of these are a short
walk from CRL and easily accessible via public transportation from
the Kendall Square subway stop next to MIT.  We have not negotiated
any special rates with these hotels, so you'll need to shop around
for the best rates, as they vary. A longer list of hotels
is available at http://www.ai.mit.edu/visiting/hotels/hotels.shtml
Directions to the lab can be found at:
http://www.crl.hpl.hp.com/who/lab/directions.htm

			Jim Gettys