KIO->GnomeVFS bridge started (looking for a Common-VFS)

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Tue Dec 21 13:43:54 GMT 2004

Am Dienstag, 21. Dezember 2004 14:12 schrieb Jason Keirstead:
> This is silly reasoning. That would be like me saying that kio_fuse should
> be added to the stock Linux kernel because then ncurses apps and KDE apps
> can use the same VFS library.

In that sense KIO is indeed something which does not belong to the desktop
level, but since a lot of Unix-like OS (Linux, BSD) do not offer advanced VFS
subsystems, it must be done within the library (or worse, application)
layers.
This is why KDE has KIO, Gnome has G-VFS and so forth. This is why Windows,
where there is not even a standard VFS in the library layer, or mc for that
matter, implement it for each application.

This is why DCOP had to be invented, and D-BUS, and
whats-your-next-favorite-buzzword-IPC-system.

This is why we have aRts and gstreamer and other soundservers - because the
main development platforms of the people involved did not offer sufficient
comparable technology.

It all comes down to interoperability. Thus, adding kio_fuse to the kernel
might lead into a lengthy discussion/flame fests with the kernel people, but
having it included in distros by default might lead into higher
interoperability.

There is a lot of modern OS research being done, but the goal of Linux and BSD
is primarily stability and migration, and thus we'll have to live with having
several subsystems on top of the OS even though some OS already provide these
features for us.

Josef