KIO->GnomeVFS bridge started (looking for a Common-VFS)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Dec 20 22:52:11 GMT 2004

On Monday 20 December 2004 23:37, nf wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 20:26, George Staikos wrote:
>
> >    The applications are guaranteed tobe inconsistent if they all use the same
> > VFS, because they use features which are unavailable in one or the other.
> > Gnome doesn't implement KWallet, for instance.  With Gnome VFS, KDE apps will
> > use KWallet for some things, and ?? for others?
>
> Good point. Storing passwords in a desktop neutral way is definitely a
> problem for a "Common VFS". Again there are two incompatible libraries
> (KWallet and gnome-keyring) for the same purpose - instead of a single
> library and two front-ends. Same story... ;-)
>
> I'll have a look how the APIs compare as soon i have time...

After that you can have a look at cookie-management, then SSL, then configuration
(timeouts, passive mode, encoding etc.), then authentication (login dialogs) including caching,
integration with global online/offline status, metadata...

Personally I see no way a common VFS will ever provide the necessary level
of functionality and integration. I'm all for sharing format specifications,
file locations, etc. But trying to share code won't work, since it would have to
solve all problems (already solved by the current code) at once before any thought
about switching can happen.

IMHO you should start at the other end. Yes, let's share cookies - by agreeing
on a common file and format.