HAL backend for media:/

Jérôme Lodewyck jerome.lodewyck at normalesup.org
Sun Dec 12 21:35:24 GMT 2004

Hi,

 as some might have noticed, a Hardware Abstraction Layer backend for the new
media kioslave has been written (in kdebase/kioslave/media/kdedmodule/). It
is compiled if the following requirements are met :
- HAL >= 0.4
- DBus
- DBus-Qt bindings from CVS (not that usual...)

It is loaded at launch time instead of the standard fstab backend if HAL is
reachable.

As for now, it mostly needs more testing, with all kind of media : cd/dvd/vcd,
removable mass storage, gphoto2 camera. Alpha 1 is surely a great opportunity
to test it !

There are a few bugs detected :
- the mimetype for directories under a device handled by audiocd:/ is flawed
(a default icon appears instead of the usual directory icon). I could correct
this by adding the line
app_entry(e, KIO::UDS_MIME_TYPE, "inode/directory");
if the function static void app_dir(UDSEntry& e, const QString & n, size_t s)
from audiocd.cpp. I am not sure whether this is The Right Thing To Do. Perhaps
the audiocd folks could be advisable ?

- for devices handled by gphoto2 : the tree view in konqueror cannot unfold
the device subfolders with a "can't access parent directory" warning. This
content can be opened though. I don't know where it comes from.

Hope some of you can test it,

Jérôme