How did akregator come into kdepim?

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Sun Dec 12 15:44:11 GMT 2004

On Sunday 12 December 2004 07:08, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Sunday 12 December 2004 06:01, George Staikos wrote:
> > On Saturday 11 December 2004 20:25, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > > When updating kdepim HEAD from CVS I noticed that akregator now is
> > > in kdepim. How did this happen? I thought the result of the
> > > discussion we had a few days ago was to put it into kdenetwork.
> >
> >    Kontact parts (PIM::Part) make this impossible.  We tried it, but
> > kdenetwork then depended on kontact.
>
> You should have talked to the kdepim people before doing this. It's
> completely unacceptable to have a discussion on the mailing lists with
> a clear agreement how to proceed and then privately do something
> different.

   More unacceptable than breaking the build?  What does it matter if the app
is in that module or another?  Honestly?  "PIM Developers" (what does that
mean anyway?  I contributed heavily there over time too...) don't like to
have other peoples' code in the same subdirectory as theirs?  I don't see any
other issue.

   I spent plenty of time trying to integrate into kdenetwork and when the
real problem was discovered I had to move it again.  I *tried* to do what was
the concensus on that mailing list, and it proved impossible.

> The KPIM::Part dependency problem is something we have to solve anyway
> because it makes it impossible to write third party plugins for
> Kontact. Moving all parts which are meant to be integrated into kdepim
> can't be the solution.

   If you solve the problem before KDE 3.4, we can move it again I guess.
That will involve moving kontact support for third party plugins into
kdelibs.

> Another problem we have now is that there are two versions of librss in
> KDE CVS. That's simply wrong.

   No it isn't.  The librss in akregator is a largely modified fork and it
will never be re-merged as-is.  See the other thread on k-c-d about it.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/