KBabel/win32: GNU gettext license

Eva Brucherseifer eva at kde.org
Wed Dec 8 13:17:32 GMT 2004

Am Mittwoch, 8. Dezember 2004 10:48 schrieb Stephan Kulow:
> Am Tuesday 07 December 2004 21:18 schrieb Eva Brucherseifer:
> > gettext ist LGPL and not GPL, so no problem here :-)
>
> How does one get into the parallel world you're emailing from? :)

by using suse...

eva at hugo:~> rpm -qi gettext
Name        : gettext                      Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 0.12.1                            Vendor: SuSE Linux AG,
Nuernberg, Germany
Release     : 71                            Build Date: Di 23 Sep 2003
17:28:01 CEST
Install date: Fr 17 Okt 2003 22:28:44 CEST      Build Host: Zert143.suse.de
Group       : Development/Tools/Other       Source RPM:
gettext-0.12.1-71.src.rpm
Size        : 5608067                          License: LGPL

And by phoning the FSF ;-)
I talked to Werner Koch, Maintainer of gpgme (which uses gettext) and he
confirmed it's LGPL. He only did a rough check though and so this is his
personal opinion.

As I didn't check the sources themselves, it indead might be a parallel
world...
What about contacting the gettext maintainers and ask them? After all the
should know best what license they want to have in place (and people do
stupid copy paste errors...).

Greetings,
eva