KBabel/win32: GNU gettext license

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Wed Dec 8 07:05:21 GMT 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 07:18 am, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
> > GPL license allows to link with nonGPL runtime libraries shipped with
> > compiler. That's unclear because we can pretty well consider unmodified
> > Qt as an runtime. 'Where's the boundary?' question looks like a
> > philosophical issue for me.
>
> gettext ist LGPL and not GPL, so no problem here :-)
http://directory.fsf.org/gettext.html and the COPYING file that came with my
copy of gettext-0.14 suggests that this is not the case.

A very clean solution would be if Qt got itself a gettext capability. Next
best bet would be to get permission from the gettext authors - bad if they
say no though. Other than that, it looks arguable either way.

Brad