XML/XSD based configuration files.

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Tue Dec 7 19:14:24 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 13:44, Frans Englich wrote:
> > needed. XML is not nearly as human friendly, and i think that's an
> > important thing to keep in mind as well.
>
> I would consider that such a low priority it can be neglectable; that
> people need to manually hack files is the bug, not that it's difficult.

I'm sure that if you read the above you disagree with yourself. Needing to
manually manipulate own data (configurations in this case) isn't a bug. It's
an inalienable right! And that's one of the reasons Windows obscures config
in the first place, very probably.

That being said, I still think making config. available from central repos
(like ldap or db) is an essential goal in this connected world. If this
requires using XML, so be it. I'm sure somebody would then come with simple
cli tools for attending to the obscured XML data.

But we definitely should avoid even thinking that accessing data (config data
here) manually is a bug.

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org