Moving dnssd to kdelibs

Jakub Stachowski stachowski at hypair.net
Wed Dec 1 20:29:42 GMT 2004

Dnia środa, 1 grudnia 2004 20:21, Aaron Seigo napisał:
> On December 1, 2004 8:53, Jakub Stachowski wrote:
> > I would like to propose moving kdenonbeta/kdnssd/dnssd (simple library
> > build on Apple's mDNSResponder for discovering and publishing services
> > using DNS-SD aka ZeroConf aka Rendezvous protocol) into kdelibs. Reason:
>
> echoing George here, i think this is a good idea in principle, especially
> if it gets integrated in as many places as there are patches for in your
> source tree..
>
> i'm installing it today and will look at the kcm and other bits as i can.
>
> now for the stupid question: why are the .desktop files called ._tcp? is
> this a mDNS standard or is it specific to your dnssd?

DNS-SD service types are in form _type._protocol . I named files this way to
simplify ioslave - when new service type is found, it checks if it is
supported by searching for appropriate. Of course I can name them
_type._tcp.desktop if it is better.

> > - random idea I just got (not even started yet) for easy launching remote
> > apps (not whole session): add new submenu to standard k-menu: 'K ->
> > Remote application -> (list of hosts) -> (normal k-menu for every host)
> > '. List of hosts could be populated by searching for _remoteapps._tcp
> > (advertising location of /usr/share/applications and ssh port) or
> > something similar.
>
> i don't think this would be very efficient, really.

Building k-menu from remote location? If not cached, then you are right.

> a better way might be
> to add support for mDNS to the FreeNX server and client. this would solve
> the big issue of how to do automatic discovery for NX on the network.

That is next on my target list :-)

> it
> could also advertise applications that the NX admin has approved for use
> over the network, and that should be a bit more controllable/efficient.

This is interesting. Can NX be used to launch single application? I thought it
is only for full desktop.

> what do you think?
>
> > I have provided some patches for Posix version of
> > mDNSResponder to implement missing features (see
> > http://lists.apple.com/archives/rendezvous-dev/2004/Nov/msg00055.html and
> > followups) and according to Marc Krochmal from Apple they are going into
> > CVS today, and after my confirmation that everything is working as
> > expected new release will be made.
>
> just downloaded version 66.3 from the darwinsource site and, ignoring their
> rather unorthodox and undocument build system (not to mention altering
> my /etc/init.d on make install, wtf?), it didn't even compile here (SUSE
> 9.1 on x86_64).
>
> so maybe while they are at it they could patch mDNSCore/DNSDigest.c:
>
> 222c222
> < int MD5_Update(MD5_CTX *c, const void *data, unsigned long len);
> ---
>
> > int MD5_Update(MD5_CTX *c, const void *data, mDNSu32 len);

Ok, I sent info about that.