Binary compatibility broken? between 3.3.1 and 3.3.2

Leo Savernik l.savernik at aon.at
Wed Dec 1 20:11:04 GMT 2004

Am Mittwoch, 1. Dezember 2004 20:32 schrieb Willy De la Court:
> > > the version 1.114.2.2 which is tagged KDE_3_3_1_RELEASE has no setIcon
> > > and version 1.114.2.3 tagged KDE_3_3_2_RELEASE has the setIcon function
> > >

> > > hmm strange if i recall correctly this breaks binary compatibility

Why should it? It would be bic if it were the other way round.

Yet we can argue whether it is allowed to introduce new public symbols in
patchlevel releases.

> > You caught me.  It's true.  I built these recent packages against
> > kde-3.3.2 (due to be released real-soon-now).  Bummer that
> > bin-compatibility was broken.
> >
> > Is it worth filing a bug?  Dunno if they'll even consider it a bug.
> > Qt/KDE has always maintained forward compat (stuff built on/for qt/kde

Qt promises forward and backward compat between patchlevel releases. I've
never read or heard anything about KDE guaranteeing forward compatibility
between patchlevel releases.

> > 3.x.y will/should work with qt/kde 3.x.(y+1) ) but not necessarily
> > vice-versa.

What you described here is backward compatibility.

mfg
 Leo