Backport KPDF changes to 3.3?

Matt Rogers matt at matt.rogers.name
Wed Aug 25 23:06:25 BST 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 09:52:54PM +0000, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 August 2004 21:39, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > Hi, i would like that you try the changes i have made into kpdf this
> > afternoon, they fix lots of rendering problems (i've already closed 7 bugs
> > and think i can close some more)
> >
> > They work fine for me but i would like some more testing.
>
> Wouldn't it be good if there was a regression suit for this kind of
> things(collection of PDFs in CVS)? Testing will always be needed, the code
> base may radically change, and asking a mailing list is never a bullet proof
> or consistent way of testing.

sure, it'd be great if there was a regression test for this kind of thing, but
a collection of pdfs in cvs is a bad idea. why? because in order to an adequate
test suite for the possible problems an update might cause, the pdf collection
would be huge.

the testing doesn't necessarily have to be consistent, but mailing a list asking
the people to test something, imho, is a great idea. The more people that test
the various pdfs they might have, the more bugs found that can be worked out. it's
part of that whole "more eyes (in the end) means less bugs" thing.