Proposal for KDE 4.0

Malte S. Stretz msquadrat.nospamplease-hi6Y0CQ0nG0 at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 18 22:50:07 BST 2004

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 23:29 CET George Staikos wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 August 2004 17:34, Luís Pedro Coelho wrote:
> > >     /usr came into being long before KDE ever existed, and well, KDE
> > > is much larger than Unix was when /usr was created.  It really
> > > doesn't apply cleanly anymore.
> >
> > I'm sorry, I don't see what you mean.
> >
> > The problem that the hierarchy solved: separating things which can be
> > mounted from the network in different platforms from things which need
> > to be the same platform (binary platform, normally) from things which
> > need to be accessible is still there since these types of environments
> > are still widely used.
>
>   KDE is relatively a huge mess compared with traditional UNIX tools,
> which /usr was designed for.  It needs to be contained.

I suggest you to contact the FHS authors then [1,2].  At least Daniel
Quinlan is a very reasonable guy.  But please don't brew your own thing --
the Gentoo /usr/kde way is already bad enough.

Cheers,
Malte

[1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
[2] http://bugs.freestandards.org/

--
[SGT] Simon G. Tatham: "How to Report Bugs Effectively"
      <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>