Proposal for KDE 4.0

Luís Pedro Coelho luis at luispedro.org
Wed Aug 18 22:02:30 BST 2004

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 15:36, Leo Savernik wrote:
> > What would be the FHS compatible way?
> >  /usr/bin/kde4
> >  /usr/lib/kde4
> >  /usr/share/kde4
> > Right?
>
> Hmm, if that's the FHS-blessed way, I fail to see the advantage over the
> traditional /opt/kde<n>

The issue is sharing.

/usr  = Unix Shared Resources : things which can be mounted after the machine
has booted

/usr/share : things which can be shared between different (binary) platforms.

The above solution preserves this.

(this is the same as the difference between /s?bin and /usr/s?bin. /bin
and /sbin should contain enough to bail a system out if a network mount
of /usr fails).

BTW, if  /opt is for 3rd party stuff (as in the LSB), then I always read "3rd
party" to mean "not a part of the base system," as in, my distribuition
should keep /opt clean for me to put things in. So, if my distribution
includes KDE it should not go into /opt. Of course, if I compile it
myself, /opt seems the right place.

ciau,
--
Luís Pedro Coelho

check out my game of hearts for the KDE at
http://hearts.luispedro.org