KDE is a vendor

Richard Smith kde at metafoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 18 14:42:19 BST 2004

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 2:27 pm, Martin Köbele wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 August 2004 15:11, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> > I have always liked SuSE's "/opt/kde<n>", but what about programs relying
> > on KDE developed outside KDE CVS? Where should those be installed?
>
> my opinion is that any kde-application should be installed in $KDEDIR, no
> matter where it is hosted. Most actually need to be installed in $KDEDIR to
> ensure that everything (i.e. icons) is working fine. (Although there is
> already a workaround available for that).

If you mean $KDEDIRS, that's not a workaround. I install each
separately-distributed package into its own directory in $HOME/packages (with
a script to set up KDEDIRS, PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH) and everything works
perfectly. At the moment, all of KDE is in one package directory, but I plan
to fix that next time I rebuild all.

Richard