Proposal for KDE 4.0

Adrian Schroeter adrian at suse.de
Wed Aug 18 10:51:35 BST 2004

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 11:33 am, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 August 2004 07:34, David Johnson wrote:
> > >
> > > This is what pkg-config provides, of course.
> >
> > Except that it doesn't necessarily do away with the very awkward command
> > line. Granted, the user isn't likely to be typing this in by hand, but
> > it still makes an examination of a build log that much more painful on
> > the eyes.
> >
> > While the orginal proposal mentioned versioning in the filesystem
> > namespace, it seems to me that the core problem it was addressing was
> > related to module names rather than versions.
> >
> > Since KDE releases are much more "synchronous" and unified than the
> > GNOME style, the need for this kind of namespace versioning is much
> > less. I don't imagine many users will want to mix and match KDE
> > components across major versions. If they really want to, or in the
> > case of a migration, installing under different hierarchies should be
> > sufficient.
>
> My thoughts indeed. If you use $KDEDIR/include then the version is already
> included in the $KDEDIR part.
>
> Now only imagine if we could convince *all* distributors that /usr/kde4 is
> the right $KDEDIR for KDE 4. *gasp* I guess I should start with SUSE ;-)
> (Coolo, Adrian, are you listening?)

The current plan is to move directly to /usr for KDE 4. But maybe /usr/kde4 is
a better idea. However, we will place it everywhere, if it is okay with the
FHS and there is any official recommendation by KDE ;)

bye
adrian

Adrian Schroeter
SuSE AG,  Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany
email: adrian at suse.de   (461 mails already received today.)