Adding Docbook 4.3 and DocBook XSL 1.65.1 to kdelibs

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Mon Aug 16 08:27:59 BST 2004

On Monday 16 August 2004 04.22, Frans Englich wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm working on two documentation projects on usability.kde.org, KDE
> Usability Articles, and a face lift of the Human Interface Guidelines. Both
> use docbook, and the docbook DTDs as well as XSLs must be available in
> order for people to work with those two projects.
>
> Specifically, the two need:
>
> * Docbook XML 4.3
This is just not very likely to happen.  It's an enormous amount of work to
update, while keeping backwards compatibility,  and supporting the older
versions, and keeping it working across dozens of languages.

There's nothing at all stopping you using your own copy of either of these,
meinproc has a --stylesheet option, as do any other xslt processor I ever
saw.

> * Docbook XSL 1.65.1: Formatting Objects and XHTML output
This is even less likely.  Updating the XHTML to 1.65.1 is possible (*after*
this release is out), but there's no use to KDE to have the FO stylesheets
there.  KDE doesn't use them, and is unlikely to any time soon (which is why
the current version imported in kdelibs doesn't have them.)

> Docbook XML 4.3 is on <500kb, so I guess it's ok if I add it to kdelibs.

Please just don't touch kdelibs/kdoctools/docbook.   You can quite easily
break all of KDE *and* all third party apps from building, and I don't expect
you're offering to do all the work required to support this.

> DocBook XSL have grewn significantly in size however, even if it's stripped
> similarly to the kdelibs/kdoctools/customization/xsl, the size is 7.9mb,
> compared to the current on 2.9mb.

> The above functionality is widely used, and should be available centrally
> in KDE. The size is daunting but it have to be consumed somewhere, the
> question is where.

> If it should be placed in kdelibs(if not, it will probably lead to
> duplicates in the long run), should it replace
> kdelibs/kdoctools/customization/xsl or be another version, similar to the
> DTDs? I don't have insight in the KDE doc system to spot regressions etc.

It's a massive job, and not at all urgent, as far as I can see.

Anyway, the right list is kde-docbook (or kde-doc-english), this is hardly
core-devel territory.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts