What Sound System for KDE 4

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Fri Aug 13 22:44:06 BST 2004

On Friday 13 August 2004 23:28, George Staikos wrote:
> On Friday 13 August 2004 17:29, Frans Englich wrote:
> > On Friday 13 August 2004 21:02, ismail donmez wrote:
> >
> > This thread is off topic, discuss it on kde-multimedia where it
> > belongs(AFAICT).
>
>     I don't agree here.  It's a part of KDE that even kdelibs depends on.
> In one sense it is more a part of the KDE core than much of kdelibs.  It is
> very much something at the heart of KDE right now and deserves full
> attention of all those who work on KDE at all levels, high and low.

As I see it there are two seperate issues: The standard system for
audio-playback, and a whole multimedia-framework, kdelibs only needs to
depend on the first! As it is looks, the wisest move would be to define an
audio-interface in kdelibs, and let various backends provide plugins for it.

There are advantages of the KDE-programs to use just one common framework, but
with KDE-programs outside the KDE-release moving in different directions, it
is unlike to ever be fully unanimous, so we might as well provide the
flexibilty and choice we are renowned for.

`Allan