ANNOUNCE: HEAD is open for development again

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Fri Aug 13 22:19:30 BST 2004

On Friday 13 August 2004 23:12, Charles Samuels wrote:
> Its current problems consist of it being both a mixer and a
> soundsystem.  And all of this put into a soundserver.

...and a synthesis framework.  And a network abstraction.  And...

> The API is way too complicated,

...and not documented at all...

> but at  the same time, it's currently the one and only soundsystem used by
> multiple programs.  That said, I really don't want to continue using it, but
> it's looking increasingly like we may not have an option.

Huh?  Both JuK and amaroK have backends for GStreamer.  There are a handful of
KDE apps using the Xine framework directly.  We have a few frontends to
MPlayer.  (I'm not specifically advocating these here -- just noting their
presense.)  This of course doesn't count the dozens of non-KDE applications
using all of the above.

Of course this should probably be happening on kde-multimedia.

-Scott