ANNOUNCE: HEAD is open for development again

Charles Samuels charles at kde.org
Fri Aug 13 22:12:02 BST 2004

On Friday 13 August 2004 2:02 pm, ismail donmez wrote:
> On Friday 13 August 2004 23:53, Charles Samuels wrote:
> > 1) As far as mixing goes, we don't know what we'll do (and I believe it's
> > belongs in the kernel, but that won't happen).
>
> Yeah this wont possibly happen as its not mentioned in OLS 2004 or anywhere
> else.

If it gets done in Linux, it will get done in the other OSes as well, plus the
soundsystem will have support for some kind of mixer as well.

Alsa has support for a user-space mixer, but it doesn't work with
OSS-emulation, and many applicatons that use alsa don't use alsa correctly
anyway, and so it doesn't work.  This is probably because they have an
overly-complicated API.  Also made apparent by how so many even new programs
only support OSS initially.

I'm complaining about these problems here, because I know that the KDE project
has enough influence to fix these problems in Linux.  If we choose to.

> > 2) There are various soundsystems that we have, including NMM, aRts,
> > GStreamer, and even using the Helix stuff from Real has been suggested.
>
> I don't think aRts is an option for KDE4 when you think the its current
> problems.

Its current problems consist of it being both a mixer and a soundsystem.  And
all of this put into a soundserver.  The API is way too complicated, but at
the same time, it's currently the one and only soundsystem used by multiple
programs.  That said, I really don't want to continue using it, but it's
looking increasingly like we may not have an option.

I think what we need is a standard API for pluggable modules, and a few of
these pluggable modules.

-Charles

--
Charles Samuels <charles at kde.org>
 Don't change horsemen in the middle of an apocalypse!