kcombobox doc update

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Aug 12 01:56:32 BST 2004

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 19:57, Dawit A. wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 August 2004 18:44, George Staikos wrote:
> > After a frustrating bug hunt, I'd like to add this for 3.3 if it's OK and
> > not too late by the time I get a response.  Ok?
>
> Can you please explain what problem lead you to the "frustrating bug hunt"
> ? The API is admittedly a bit more complicated than it should be, but that
> is the price paid for making it as flexiable as possible to accomodate too
> many differing requirements. Anyways, I do not object adding useful
> comment, but can you please make it less melodramatic ?? If you do not want
> to do that, I will add a more appropriate comment myself.

   I wasn't trying to make anything melodramatic.  I just spent time debugging
a problem which turns out to be because the object returns a pointer but
deletes that pointer on you apparently without warning.  The usage case was
this [reduced]:

KCompletion *foo = combo->completionObject();
combo->setEditable(false);
foo->clear(); // or anything else

It's really not obvious that this will happen since I never touched the
completion object in any way between getting a pointer to it and then using
that pointer.  This crash was reported to me by someone else who also
probably didn't understand why it was crashing.

> > Note: this is a very confusing API/object!
>
> Thanks...

  Sorry, the completion stuff really is confusing.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/