kdemultimedia (setCheckedState)

Gérard Delafond gerard at delafond.org
Thu Aug 5 14:09:48 BST 2004

Le jeudi 5 Août 2004 14:08, David Faure a écrit :
> On Wednesday 19 May 2004 13:32, Clarence Dang wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 May 2004 05:14 pm, David Faure wrote:
> > > So there are two solutions: ensuring that options really look like
> > > options (without a verb, like "Toolbar Foobar Visible"), or ensuring
> > > that those menu items are actions, where the description represents the
> > > action - so it has to change if the action changes.
> >
> > I have to agree with Scott and Malte for the same reasons they gave.  Why
> > wasn't the first solution chosen?
>
> Do you really think "Toolbar Foobar Visible" makes a good menu item name?
NO !!!
There must be 2 menuitems (not visible at the same time) :
Show toolbar
Hide toolbar
So, you click on the visible action to execute it.
This method should be implemented everywhere where it is possible in KDE.

The worst example is in KBabel, Tools->Diff-> Where you have 2 menuitems (Show
diff and show original text).
There should be ONE menuitem, showing only what you can do at this moment.

> Sigh. Why does everything have to be so controversial in KDE, and where
> was everyone when I posted
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=107608719413110&w=2
> (which was even cc'ed to kde-usability)?
> The only answer on kde-usability was this one:
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-usability&m=107609286521568&w=2 which was from
> Gerard (who asked me to implement that change).
>
> I don't care what happens now. This is a usability issue. If the
> kde-usability people can come up with a decision, I'm happy, whichever way
> it is.
Thanks for your help, David !
Gerard