KGlobalSettings::completionMode() can be read, is not consistent in KDE though

Michael Brade brade at kde.org
Sun Apr 25 14:16:49 BST 2004

On Sunday 25 April 2004 07:36, Dawit A. wrote:
> > if instead the option was "Use Desktop-Wide Setting" (or something
> > similar) then the user would still be able to select from the list of
> > option,s which would then set either the global setting or the
> > app-specific setting depending on the state of this entry. this would
> > allow making a change to one lineedit affecting ALL others in KDE, while
> > also preserving
> > app-specific behaviour as an option.
> >
> > here are the four use cases:
>
> [snipped]
>
> Too complicated. I had to read this several times to see all the different
> combinations.
No, I don't agree. I had to read it twice as well but that is not because it
is difficult to grasp but because I had to think about it technically. If it
were implemented like that the user would not know all four cases, only two
and it would feel intuitive.

> It is just asking for trouble if the ability to modify the
> global default is added directly to individual widgets.
Why?

> Specially one that
> is labeled "Use Desktop-Wide Setting". It conveys nothing about modifying
> the default.
That's why I suggested the other names.

> I rather see some sort of GUI that allows you to modify all
> the global settings in a central manner if possible.
Yes, I'd be happy with this solution as well. But: where would you put it?

Cheers,
--
Michael Brade;                 KDE Developer, Student of Computer Science
  |-mail: echo brade !#|tr -d "c oh"|s\e\d 's/e/\@/2;s/$/.org/;s/bra/k/2'

KDE 3: The Next Generation in Desktop Experience