New BinReloc patch

Arend van Beelen jr. arend at auton.nl
Mon Apr 19 21:42:46 BST 2004

On Monday 19 April 2004 22:34, Waldo Bastian wrote:
[SNIP]
> > Now the exact use of these functions is to locate data files that might
> > be installed with the binary, but not in a standard location. This
> > location can then be used as an *additional* location to find its files,
> > but such a location is not guaranteed to be found.
>
> KStandardDirs locates data files and when the application-directory has
> been added as prefix it will look relative to the application-directory as
> well. Why is that not enough?
Because the application doesn't reliably know its own application directory.
The only way application nowadays know it is either because of hardcoded
paths that are set during configure or through hacks like environment
variables. Now that has to be changed to be determined at runtime which is
exactly what my new functions do. To ease the application developers the
prefix of the current binary is automatically added in the KStandardDirs
constructor, but this is exactly why these functions are important, to
determine the application directory.

--
Arend van Beelen jr.
http://www.liacs.nl/~dvbeelen

It's a wonderful life - if you can find it.
-- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds