Sytem Administration / Paths

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Sun Apr 18 19:55:54 BST 2004

Benjamin Meyer wrote:
>> Agreed, but what are you going to write in the KCM?
>>
>> Where to store temporary files:
>> Where to store really big temporary files:
>
>Which is the big question.  Would they be different locations?

For me, yes.

As I said, my 384MB RAM-based /tmp is enough for almost anything I throw
at it. I don't expect applications to go on creating large (>50 MB)
files behind my back.

I don't want to put a 700MB CD image inside my /tmp because that would
go to my RAM and consume precious resources. (I have 768 MB worth of
RAM)

On the other hand, I *do* want small files to go to /tmp because it's
way faster than a disk-based filesystem and it gets automatically
cleaned up at boot time.

Ok, so not many people use tmpfs /tmp. But I know a lot of people who
have small root filesystems, but large /home and /usr. That means /tmp
would be restricted in size too.

BTW, my /var/tmp has even less space available than /tmp.
--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info