KStandardDirs and Autopackage

Arend van Beelen jr. arend at auton.nl
Sun Apr 18 19:18:54 BST 2004

On Sunday 18 April 2004 20:13, Leo Savernik wrote:
[...]
> One question that pops up in my mind:
>
> If I have a standalone, autopackage-enabled KDE app under
> /opt/my-kde-app
>
> and then make a symlink like
>
> ln -s /opt/my-kde-app/bin/my-kde-app /usr/X11/bin/my-kde-app
>
> to be able to start it from the command line, which prefix would be
> returned then by br's PREFIX? The symlinked one /usr/X11, or the canonical
> one /opt/my-kde-app.
BinReloc queries the kernel to ask the path of the executable that's being
run. Logically, the kernel will provide the path of the real executable, not
the symlink (as you can't run a symlink). You might be able to fool it using
hard-links, but that's not really surprising I'd say.

[...]

--
Arend van Beelen jr.
http://www.liacs.nl/~dvbeelen

Yes, he died, but he will return to die with me again.
-- Nightwish