Benchmarks: Linux Registry (from the author)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Apr 17 09:20:02 BST 2004

On Saturday 17 April 2004 01:21, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> On Friday 16 April 2004 07:00 pm, Avi Alkalay wrote:
> > # will list all keys under 'system' namespace
> > bash#
> > bash# rg ls -R system | wc -l
> >    1010
> >
> > # Will list (stat()) all keys under 'system' namespace
> > bash#
> > bash# time rg ls -R system > /dev/null
> >
> > real    0m0.088s
> > user    0m0.050s
> > sys     0m0.020s
>
> Was the machine rebooted between these two commands?
> BTW, I currently have ~296 entries in my kdeglobals, and ~271 in
> konquerorrc, for a total of 567, ~0.56 of those you tested with.
>
> > # Will list, read (open()) and parse all comments and
> > # values for keys under 'system' namespace (1010 keys)
> > bash#
> > bash# time rg ls -Rv system > /dev/null
> >
> > real    0m0.211s
> > user    0m0.140s
> > sys     0m0.070s
>
> Which means w/the above ratio, this will likely add more than 0.1 second to
> startup time of konqueror, and I am guessing these are the warm start
> times.
>
> -Maks

It must have been around 2001/2002 when I measured the performance of KConfig
on my old K6/200. Reading and parsing an average config file took approx. 10
ms on this old machine. So KConfig is *much* faster than this new method.
When konqy starts, there are more files parsed than only konquerorrc and
kdeglobals: the icon theme files, the local and global versions of the rc
files, the rc file of the part, and others.

Bye
Alex