Benchmarks: Linux Registry (from the author)

Maks Orlovich mo002j at mail.rochester.edu
Sat Apr 17 00:21:19 BST 2004

On Friday 16 April 2004 07:00 pm, Avi Alkalay wrote:
> # will list all keys under 'system' namespace
> bash#
> bash# rg ls -R system | wc -l
>    1010
>
> # Will list (stat()) all keys under 'system' namespace
> bash#
> bash# time rg ls -R system > /dev/null
>
> real    0m0.088s
> user    0m0.050s
> sys     0m0.020s

Was the machine rebooted between these two commands?
BTW, I currently have ~296 entries in my kdeglobals, and ~271 in konquerorrc,
for a total of 567, ~0.56 of those you tested with.

> # Will list, read (open()) and parse all comments and
> # values for keys under 'system' namespace (1010 keys)
> bash#
> bash# time rg ls -Rv system > /dev/null
>
> real    0m0.211s
> user    0m0.140s
> sys     0m0.070s

Which means w/the above ratio, this will likely add more than 0.1 second to
startup time of konqueror, and I am guessing these are the warm start times.

-Maks