Benchmarks: Linux Registry (from the author)

Avi Alkalay avi at unix.sh
Sat Apr 17 00:00:13 BST 2004

Ok, so I runned some benchmarks tests.
I loaded my registry using all conversion scripts provided in the
registry package. They'll convert users, groups, passwords, fstab,
inittab, XF8Config, kudzu's hwconf.

I got 1010 keys.

# will list all keys under 'system' namespace
bash#
bash# rg ls -R system | wc -l
   1010

# Will list (stat()) all keys under 'system' namespace
bash#
bash# time rg ls -R system > /dev/null

real    0m0.088s
user    0m0.050s
sys     0m0.020s

# Will list, read (open()) and parse all comments and
# values for keys under 'system' namespace (1010 keys)
bash#
bash# time rg ls -Rv system > /dev/null

real    0m0.211s
user    0m0.140s
sys     0m0.070s

I made the tests in my old home system: Athlon 700MHz, 128MB RAM, ext3,
Fedora Core 1, KDE 3.2 up and running and eating my memory, 1405
bogomips, with my girldfriend using it simultaneously to hotmail her
friends.

Letting ext3's cache work more will improve this times.

Regards,
Avi