KStandardDirs and Autopackage

Arend van Beelen jr. arend at auton.nl
Fri Apr 16 09:55:17 BST 2004

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 18:28, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wed April 14 2004 17:19, Arend van Beelen jr. wrote:
> > As Leo suggested, I will create a first patch so you can better see how
> > it is supposed to work.
> >
> > > Where can I find BinReloc?
> >
> > http://autopackage.org/docs/binreloc/
>
> Ah, I see, basically we could just include br_locate() in
> kstandardsdir.cpp, strip it a bit and then add it to our prefixes, just as
> we do with KDEDIR and __KDE_EXECPREFIX. Seems simple/small enough.
Right now I just added the full prefix.[c|h] in my patch. If I would only
include br_locate() in kstandarddirs.cpp, I think KStandardDirs should gain
one or two API calls to access that functionality (at least from KIconLoader
which I patched as well), would that be acceptable?

> > > How do you make sure that the KDE runtime environment knows about this
> > > applications, its icons, its mimetypes, etc.. ?
> >
> > It doesn't. The most important point is that the application can run on
> > its own no matter where it's installed. Of course, the installation
> > script should then make sure the .desktop files and icons are registered
> > with KDE, probably by making symlinks.
>
> We could provide a tool to "check if this file is located where the KDE
> runtime environment can find it and if not, create a symlink to it under
> $KDEHOME / $XDG_DATA_HOME"
>
> e.g.
> 	kde-check-install /home/bastian/MyNewApp xdgdata-apps myapp.desktop
> could check if myapp.desktop is found anywhere in
> $(kde-config --path xdgdata-apps) and if not create a link from
> $XDG_DATA_HOME/applications/myapp.desktop
> to /home/bastian/MyNewApp/share/applications/myapp.desktop
Right now I thought autopackage could take care of this, but as you mention it
I think a more general solution would be preferred. I'm not too familiar with
those tools used in Makefiles, so if someone can help me here I would be very
pleased :)

--
Arend van Beelen jr.
http://www.liacs.nl/~dvbeelen

Come on friends, to the barricades again!
-- The Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-la-la Band