KDirWatch emitting dirty signal many times for one change

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Apr 14 22:45:07 BST 2004

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 23:39, Josef Weidendorfer wrote:
> Ah, I meant this signal, not KDirLister. I think that KDirWatch in fact should
> be the responsible to forward file changes which are done by GUI actions like
> this Rename DCOP signal.

I disagree. The KDirNotify DCOP interface is much more high-level - it's even
network-enabled (KURL), which KDirWatch obviously isn't.
Routing that information via KDirWatch is moving code around for no gain, and
mixing high-level and low-level stuff.

KDirWatch is the layer that's just above the filesystem, KDirNotify is
the (KIO/DCOP only) notification of an operation that happened
in KDE (which is the only way to refresh FTP views properly, etc.)
The fact that it acts as a workaround for missing rename() notification
from KDirWatch is only an added bonus; the main point is that it's network
transparent.