KDirWatch emitting dirty signal many times for one change

Josef Weidendorfer Josef.Weidendorfer at gmx.de
Wed Apr 14 13:14:59 BST 2004

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 12:42, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Oops. I stand corrected. Then adding a signal fileRenamed() to KDirWatch
> > should be the way to go with KDE 3.3.
>
> I don't see how you would be able to do that. KDirWatch has not enough
> information for that, KDirLister might be able to, but not KDirWatch.

KDirWatch is only an interface to deliver file change notifications from the
OS. Even if there currently is no implementation that can notify about
renames, it makes some sense that the interface can forward this kind of
notification.
The FAM interface has rename notification, which could simply be forwarded by
KDirWatch. Of course it is quite possible that the FAM daemon on linux never
generates this kind of notification.
Unfortunately, the DN_RENAME notification of DNOTIFY doesn't make much sense,
as the information is missing which file in a directory was renamed ;-(

Another question: Could KDirWatch catch rename notifications from KDirLister?

Josef